Sunday, November 11, 2012

10 Things To Do In Coorg - Reason 3

3. The Winged Beauties

She passed by and he followed, she returned back and he followed, both sat close to each other, and he whistled naughtily to which she responded with a shrill cry as if to alarm the whole world. When these hill mynas were busy creating quite a ruckus high up the canopy a flock of rose ringed parakeets flew above my head and landed on a nearby chickoo tree. As I moved silently towards the chickoo tree the rose ringed green beauties flew away, when I was sitting below the tree disappointed at not getting a closer look, I heard someone knocking and looked around only to find a flame backed woodpecker making hole in a silver wood tree looking for a meal. Disturbed by a noisy family of jungle babblers the flame back went in search of a quite place and as I tried to follow it in vain I heard someone whistling beautifully. Totally carried away by the melodious tone and curious about who is passing his time whistling in a wooded unkempt area of the estate I walked towards the source of the whistle. Finding nobody around I turned to trace back my path he whistled again, I turned around and found a amazingly beautiful striking blue (sorry the color cannot be described in words) bird, the malabar whistling thrush was the culprit.





Bird watching tops my list of reasons for heading towards Coorg. It needs patience, eyes all around, ears wide open and many a times a lot of perseverance to sit at one place motionless for hours.

Its much more exciting and interesting than the commercial street type of birdwatching, believe me and try it out folks.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment